Subject: Re: NetBSD on Via Epia/C3
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Joern Clausen <joern@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/28/2005 18:20:41
Hi!

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 04:43:00PM +0000, Ove Soerensen wrote:
> I tried installing NetBSD 2.0 on a Via C3-based pc today and basically
> experienced the same behaviour documented in PR 26007 (the machine reboots
> early during bootstrapping). Since that PR is now 1/2 year old i was
> wondering: has somebody found a workaround in the meantime? Is this
> problem fixed in -current? I would really hate installing something other
> than NetBSD on that box :)

As could be read between the lines of that PR: It's just the bootcode
that doesn't work, NetBSD 2.0 itself runs without problems. And the
bootcode from 1.6.X works, too.

I upgraded from 1.6 to 2.0 by putting the install kernel on the root
partition of the (then 1.6) hard disk. I guess, you could use a 1.6 boot
floppy, stop the bootloader, switch disks and continue from a 2.0 disk.
At worst, just install a minimal 1.6 system and continue from there on.

In any case, you'll have to reinstall the 1.6.X bootcode by using
"installboot" and your favorite version of /usr/mdec/bioboot.sym from a
1.6.2 archive.

Good luck,
   Joern

--