Subject: Re: wm0 receive overrun after adding lsi fibre channel card.
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2005 16:11:06
In message <20050225000151.GA3633@panix.com>, Thor Lancelot Simon writes:

>On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:52:39PM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
>>
>> Yes, indeed. So what you really need is a 64Bit GbE ethernet card. That
>> will be somewhat expensive. Desktop GbE NICs usually support 66MHz but
>> not 64Bit.
>
>I don't know about that -- the $20-$30 wm cards I pick up on eBay all
>seem to be PCI-X these days. :-)

Intel has a whole range of wm-compatible, 32-bit gig-e chips.  The
82540 comes in LAN-on-motherboard versions, 32-bit PCI-card versions,
usw.  Recent dual-gig-e x86 desktop motherboards often have one CSA
chip not limited by 32-bit/33MHz PCI, and one 82540 chip that is
bus-limited.  Retail prices have a noticable discount for the 32-bit
"workstation" cards vis-a-vis the 64-bit "server" cards.

Personally, I hope (expect?) to see 10GbE go the same way in time,
with PCI-express x4 "workstation" versions offered at a significant
price break over PCIe x8 "server" boards.