Subject: Re: wm0 receive overrun after adding lsi fibre channel card.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2005 17:22:37
In article <20050224152954.GA9621@panix.com>,
	Jonathan Kay <jpk@panix.com> writes:
>  ... but now about twice or four times a day I get
>
> wm0: Received overrun
>
> and the machine stop responding to pings for a ~10 seconds--it can still
> ping itself, but can't ping out.

That sounds like the card isn't able to transfer receive data via the
PCI bus fast enough.

wm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Intel i82540EM 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 2
wm0: interrupting at ioapic1 pin 1 (irq 10)
wm0: 32-bit 33MHz PCI bus
wm0: 64 word (6 address bits) MicroWire EEPROM
wm0: Ethernet address 00:c0:9f:22:a9:51

Why is the machine not running in 66MHz mode although you've got a
server motherboard? Try to put in a slot which supports this.

> Any better suggestions on really nice gigabit cards?

In my experience the Intel cards are the best cards out there. They are
fast and very reliable. In your case it looks like you should find a
faster slot for the card. If you only have 64Bit 33MHz slot available
you should buy a 64Bit Intel card.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/