Subject: Re: wm0 receive overrun after adding lsi fibre channel card.
To: Ed Gould <ed@left.wing.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2005 11:50:49
On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 08:35:58AM -0800, Ed Gould wrote:
> > but now about twice or four times a day I get
> >
> > wm0: Received overrun
> >
> > and the machine stop responding to pings for a ~10 seconds--it can still
> > ping itself, but can't ping out.  it's light on the switch stays on.
> >
> >   These might be related to lots of traffic coming through the ethernet,
> > but I'm not 100% sure about this..  (sometimes it seems to happen when
> > there is very little traffic goingon)
>
> It looks to me like you may be overrunning the capacity of your PCI-X
> bus.  Everything is attached to it, and you've just added a high-speed

Look at the dmesg line for the gigabit ethernet card: it claims it's
running at 32-bit, 33MHz.  Of course, if that's true, it will drag the
entire bus down to 33Mhz, discarding 3/4 of the bandwidth for all
devices.

I wasn't aware there were any 32/33 'wm' cards.  If there are, and Jonathan
has one, he should yank it from his machine ASAP and replace it with
something that has less suck.  But the real culprit may well be some other
33MHz card; Jonathan didn't post the entire dmesg so there's no way to
tell.

I think the Apple 'mpt' card is 64/66, so it will drag the bus down to
66MHz, but that's not so bad as running it all at 33.  Is there some
other slow card on the bus?  If so, and the motherboard has multiple
buses (most server boards do), rearranging things so the 33MHz devices
are on one bus and the fast devices on another will be a big help.

Thor