Subject: (Newbie to Netbsd) help enabling KDM (KDE 3) on netbsd 2.0
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Mehdi Elaoufir <melaoufir@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/20/2005 00:16:38
Hi all!

thanks to netbsd team for this highly performant OS, i was really
surprised by its boot speed and global performance.

i use netbsd 2.0/GENERIC_LAPTOP on my laptop (toshiba satellite
5200-904) in multi-boot mode with winxp (sorry, i don't have other
choice since my bios settings work only from winxp! :-( )

so what's my problem?

i want to enable KDE at system startup and log using KDM instead of
typing xinit command then startkde command. that's why i replaced
tty08 entry in /etc/ttys by :

    tty08 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

the system boots correctly, X starts up fine and automatically, KDM
loads but the trouble is that when i log (as root), X restarts and i
have another KDM login dialog infinitely...

what can i do to make KDE work? i can't even type a shell command!

can anybody help?

Mehdi