Subject: Re: "mbrlabel" weirdness - bug or feature?
To: Alec Muffett <alecm@crypticide.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/19/2005 09:29:33
--9v2bTOXBzuB5Piju

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 07:25:29PM +0000, Alec Muffett wrote:
> When hibernating, the BIOS overwrites counting backwards from 1024 (or=20
> rather, 1023) for 'n' BIOS-addressed cylinders - but apparently some=20
> corruption can occur *after* the 1024 boundry, presumably due to LBA=20
> cockups or similar.

I have a 100ct too.  It presently has no /home filesystem, because
when I replaced the disk last time with a larger one, I moved the
suspend space to the end of the disk, but didn't realise that the bios
saw the 'end' of the disk at 8Gb.  I'd actually suspended and resumed
quite a few times before the filesystem code hit the damage and
panic'ed :)

There's some suggestion in google results that the bios looks for
unpartitioned space, and will resort to counting backwards from the
'end' otherwise.  When I get around to it, I'm going to experiment to
find out if it's true, it would save me splitting filesystems at an
awkward point.

As for the rest of your configuration, if NetBSD is the only OS on
your machine, you're creating needless complication.  There's no
reason that NetBSD disklabel space has to be entirely enclosed by MBR
label space.  Once you've got your first basic partition on there, you
can quite happily describe NetBSD partitions anywhere on the disk and
do away with the extended partitions entirely.  You only really need
those if you have to prevent some other OS using those sectors.

The first time around, I mapped out the space used for suspend
entirely from within netbsd, by dd'ing out known data and seeing what
had changed after suspend/resume. No bios geometry math needed :)

--
Dan.

--9v2bTOXBzuB5Piju

--9v2bTOXBzuB5Piju--