Subject: Re: Nvram device on NetBSD-CURRENT
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Cyrille Szymanski <cns@szym.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/16/2005 19:11:26
Martin Husemann wrote:
> Which job is that?
> And it can't be a generic way - it's i386 centric.

Oh, it's even worse than that: tpb is ThinkPad centric (it reads the
eprom to detect lcd panel brightness changes, special key presses etc.)
and nvram-wakeup only works on some modern mainborads.

The mc146818 chip however, is generic in the sense that it is used for
many different things (RTC for instance).

I believe that many other bios vendors store similar information in this
area and thus I see the nvram driver as a way to avoid writing specific
drivers each time.

--
Cyrille