Subject: Re: Thank you NetBSD
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/13/2005 22:38:33
On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 01:51:15PM -0500, Michael wrote:

> Hello,
>

> >I do believe that if it were more popular, there would be
> >real pressure on the developers to write a modern filesystem.
> >FFS+softdep+dirpref+dirhash is all well and good until your machine
> >crashes and you have to fsck 260+ gigs.
>
> Hmm, maybe someone could comment on the state of lfs? Do the bootblocks
> / loaders support it? Is it considered stable now? What about

I tried it only once with some 2.0beta. When it got 100% full (no free
inode) I could not even mount it. I could crash it by copying the pkgsrc
tree to it. But that has been some months ago. It may be better now.

NetBSD bootblocks should support lfs but given its stability this
feature is not important yet. I am not sure about grub, it has been
updated to support some NetBSD filesystem but I think it was ffs2.

Thanks

Michal Suchanek