Subject: Re: new computer
To: elliot <elliot@metta.lk>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/08/2005 13:03:44
In message <20050208174018.23003.qmail@mail.metta.lk>, "elliot" writes:
>I have a brand new 700 dollar dell computer, is there a good chance netbsd
>and windows will run on it?  How can I be sure?  Thanks

There are no guarantees, but the odds are pretty good.  That said, there's
some chance that you'll have to fight something.  A NetBSD installation
CD will test access to the disk and the Ethernet card.  The remaining
issue is the graphics card for X11; the only easy way I know to test
that is via a NetBSD Live CD.  (There's a package in pkgsrc to build
one, but I haven't tried it.)  I have a new Dell Dimension 8400; I did
have problems with the graphics card, but switching to xorg instead of
XFree86 solved it.  Everything else, including the GigE and the SATA
disk, just worked.  (I'm running -current on this machine.)

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb