Subject: Re: Broadcom product 0x170c (ethernet)
To: Felix Deichmann <f.dei@web.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/01/2005 14:25:16
    Date:        Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:11:15 +0100
    From:        Felix Deichmann <f.dei@web.de>

  | See
  | http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=1093368204.00118046.1093355402%4010.7.7.3&output=gplain

Great.   Thanks, that is very encouraging.   And perhaps better than
anything else, that tells me what the chip is called, which then allows
sensible web searches for otehr data (I didn't think a google search for
"170c" was likely to be very productive).

  | This device seems to be fast ethernet (under FreeBSD this is bfe). So
  | the correct NetBSD driver for this would be bce, not bge.

Yes, that looks likely too, given the diff at the referenced URL.
I'd assumed that bge would be appropriate, as it handles the 170d
and 170e product IDs (which are also fast ethernet).   I'd guessed
that 170c might be another variation of the BCM5901 like those two.

I'll certainly be trying it in the bce driver first.

If it works (or now, things look probable enough, that I should
say "when it works"), I'll send-pr the diff I use.

kre