Subject: Re: questions: pmsprobe, fdisk/disklabel
To: Peter L. Peres <plp@actcom.co.il>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2005 23:23:45
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 08:15:20PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:

> I would like to ask from the list its opinion wrt. recovery of soft
> crashes (irregular shutdown f.ex.) of ffs partitions on i386. Is it as
> robust as, less robust than, or better than other equivalent filesystems
> (ext2, reiser, vfat).

With the default of the respective OS, ffs is more robust than ext2
(because ext2 is mounted async by default on linux). But then, the
disk's write-back cache can defeat some of the algorithms filesystems use
to ensure data integrity. There was an interesting discussion on tech-kern
about this some time ago.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>