Subject: Re: questions: pmsprobe, fdisk/disklabel
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter L. Peres <plp@actcom.co.il>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2005 20:15:20
I would like to ask from the list its opinion wrt. recovery of soft
crashes (irregular shutdown f.ex.) of ffs partitions on i386. Is it as
robust as, less robust than, or better than other equivalent filesystems
(ext2, reiser, vfat).

I am still trying to figure out what nearly destroyed the installation
on this disk. I have been working with open source *nix for the last ~8
years and I have never seen a crash like this. It may have been a
thundestorm and it may have been something else. The relevant disk
refused to boot for a few days after that, but attaching it to a working
system showed the partitions etc were there.

tia,
Peter