Subject: Re: questions: pmsprobe, fdisk/disklabel
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Peter L. Peres <plp@actcom.co.il>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2005 16:25:52
On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 03:39:34PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you mean by 'disable c:' (and it's c, not c:) -- you
>>> certainly shouldn't mount
>>
>> Disable c: means setting size and offset to 0, and type to unknown, for
>> the c: entry in disklabel -e. This makes the relevant slice 'disappear'
>> from the normal listing and avoids mounting accidents. I hae done this.
>>
>> Why is an overlap normal ? Overlaps are not supposed to happen and they
>> are supposed to be flagged as errors (I think I saw such an error before
>> I did mbrlabel).
>
> c: is supposed to be the MBR partition on i386 (that is, the portion of
> the disk reserved for NetBSD). So it will overlap (or, to be more exact,
> contain) others NetBSD partitions. But it should be marked as "unused",
> no "4.2BSD".

So far the MBR slice for netbsd was always d: not c: on i386 ata
(wd?) disks. This is the way the default 1.6.1 install constructed it
and I left it alone.

quoting disklabel manual:
"
BUGS

    If the disk partition is not specified in the disk name (i.e.
``xy0'' in-stead of ``/dev/rxy0c''), disklabel will construct the full
pathname of the disk and use the ``a'' partition on the tahoe, the ``d''
partition on i386 or hpcmips or arc, and the ``c'' partition on all
others.
"

thanks,
Peter