Subject: Re: questions: pmsprobe, fdisk/disklabel
To: Peter L. Peres <plp@actcom.co.il>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2005 09:29:17
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:36:08AM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> Not sure about this. On linux (2.4) it's like this:
> - mouse is initialised on boot (I have an optical one - it lights up)
> - if I unplug and plug back the mouse it is no longer on, and unusable.
> Restarting gpm etc will restore it to life
> - under X11 if I unplug and replug the mouse it stays off. If I restart
> the X11 server (ctrl-alt-bs), the mouse starts working again

On NetBSD it will recognize the mouse on boot (it lights up). When you
unplug/replug it, this will typicall be noticed on next mouse move (and it
will light up again). You can even plug in a different mouse, and the kernel
will switch to another protocol. X ususaly does not notice anything of this.
Which is especially usefull if you use multiple mice (think a laptop with
touchpad + external mouse). The same is true (but much simpler technically)
for USB mice.

Martin