Subject: Re: questions: pmsprobe, fdisk/disklabel
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Peter L. Peres <plp@actcom.co.il>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/2005 22:50:13
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Martin Husemann wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 01:13:51PM +0200, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>> - what causes this on boot: pmsprobe: reset error 5
>
> 5 is EIO (see /usr/include/sys/errno.h), and it comes effectively from
> sys/dev/pckbport/pckbport.c:pckbport_poll_cmd1. Either you have a line
> "pckbport_cmd: send error" befor that error, meaning it could not send
> a command to your ps/2 mouse, or it timed out waiting for a reply from
> your mouse.
>
> Can you test with a different mouse connected?

There was no mouse connected at the time ... thanks, I will check it
with a mouse. I understand that this error is normal if a PS/2 mouse is
not connected at boot time, yes ? Will the mouse reset properly if
connected later, before the X11 server starts ? This is the way it works
in linux, restarting the X11 server resets the mouse. This allows
hotplugging the mouse (I know that this is not good, but it is useful
... plug in the mouse and ctrl-alt-bs on the xdm/kdm screen will reset
the server and the mouse will start working).

Peter