Subject: Re: noise on pci bus?
To: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
From: devis <devis@easynix.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/21/2005 11:42:01
Sean Davis wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:41:18 +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@xtrmntr.org> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 10:32:04AM -0500, Brian Rose wrote:
>>

>>>The best way to solve this is to get a better sound card. Look for a
>>>lot of electrolytic caps (little "trash cans") on the board. Some of
>>>the _really_ nice boards pull their power from the power supply and
>>>not the PCI bus power rails.
>>>

>>or get a USB sound card.
>>

>Since I've never shopped for a uaudio device before... do you think
>this: http://tinyurl.com/5262a will work well enough?

As a personnal experience i would mention as well that specifically
Creative cards do not play well with shared interrupts pci slots. I
couldn't see anybody else mentionning this on the thread and sorry if i
missed it.
My experiments are on one of my system, i run a triple sound card system
that has a SBLive!5.1 pci ( emu10k1 chip ), a zoltrix pro6 ( cmipci-ch6
chip ), and an als4000 pci. There are 5 pci slots on the machine. I
always had interferences with other devices ( background noise from
speakers on hard disks, click from mouse moves and all other annoyances
mentionned ) and i agree the pc environment is hostile however i decide
to get rid of the problem once and for all, put out my motherboard
documentation and realised the irq sharing of the pci slots was
described as so:
slot 1 and 3 : shared
slot 2 and 6 : shared
slot 4 : not shared
slot 5: not shared

Note that yours may vary.

I connected the creative sblive in the slot 4. Since ALL GONE. Perfect,
no more clicks and rattles. I also have read on DVD mailing lists that
creative cards do not play nice when on a shared pci slot.

Hope this is relevant.

d.