Subject: Re: How to boot NetBSD 2.0
To: Tracy Nelson <tmnelson@neb.rr.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@gmail.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/16/2005 12:02:55
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:54:16 -0600, Tracy Nelson <tmnelson@neb.rr.com> wrote:
> I recently instlled 2.0 and I need to figure out how to get it to boot.
> I'm guessing it's my machine configuration that's the problem.  My
> default boot device is an IDE drive.  I installed 2.0 on a SCSI drive
> (not the first one on the chain).  The install was successful, however
> when I boot up I don't get a boot loader, it just goes right into
> Windows (like before).  Is there some way to either install a boot
> loader on my Windows drive, or create a boot floppy?

Take a look at the manpage for fdisk(8) and mbr(8).
Basically you'll want something like 'fdisk -B wd0' to install the
bootselector MBR on your IDE drive.  This will let you hit 1-4 for the
primary partitions and then 'F1-F8' boots BIOS drives 0-7 according to
the manpage.  Provided your SCSI with NetBSD is showing up as a BIOS
drive, you should be able to just step through the possible drives
(F3-F8 perhaps), rebooting in between I assume, until you manage to
boot the NetBSD drive.

-Andrew