Subject: Re: PowerNow support
To: Rumi Szabolcs <rumi_ml@rtfm.hu>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2005 10:23:40
In message <20050115155558.16c6c87c.rumi_ml@rtfm.hu>, Rumi Szabolcs writes:
>Hello!
>
>Is there support in NetBSD (netbsd-2-0 or netbsd-current) for
>technologies like SpeedStep and PowerNow? I would expect automatic
>cpu speed stepping that adapts to the current cpu load, is there
>any support for that?

There are sysctls for SpeedStep, though I'm not sure if they're in 2.0
or only in -current.  You can find estd on the net, which is supposed
to do the right thing; on my laptop, it never seemed to slow the CPU
down enough.  I haven't tried to figure out why; I just set the
frequency low in my /etc/apm/battery script.  (Note: also see PR
port-i386/28790 if you plan to use that approach.)

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb