Subject: APM in ThinkPad R50e - bogus 32-bit code segment - help please!
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse H Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/12/2005 09:37:17
I have bought a ThinkPad R50e. I had a different ThinkPad in a previous
job, and it ran NetBSD flawlessly, so I guessed I was betting on a safe horse.

However, APM seems not to work, and in a laptop, I believe that's rather
critical. I get the following message in dmesg:
apm0 at mainbus0: bogus 32-bit code segment start
apm0: kernel APM support disabled

I have tried the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel, and also, per suggestion, tried
building my own from GENERIC with the apm and APM_DISABLE_INTERRUPT lines
enabled. Neither worked.

I have been looking at the apm.c code which gives the error message, but it
makes very little sense to me.

I would very much like to know if this is fixable or not fixable. If it is
not fixable I could still try to return the machine for a refund.

I so much hope that someone out there can help me prevent this from turning
into a nightmare.

-Lasse