Subject: Re: pkg_add
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/2005 16:30:14
In message <20050108212402.GC12132@drowsy.duskware.de>, Martin Husemann writes:
>On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 02:38:58PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>> > 229 Entering Passive Mode (|||52258|)
>> > 200 EPRT command successful
>[...]
>> Looks like a firewall issue. It can't open the data connection.
>
>For a passive connection? I don't think the firewall can get much wrong
>there - unless you have a broken ftp proxy active in your firewall.

There have been problems with some versions of Checkpoint firewalls and
our server, and in particular the multi-line response from the login
prompt.  But I don't think that that's the issue here.  My guess is the
local security policy -- it may not permit calls out to arbitrary ports.

Is there a web proxy inside?  If so, try setting environment variable
ftp_proxy to point to it (for the command-line fetch; according to the
man page, you need to do 'set ftp_proxy' for interactive sessions).

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb