Subject: Re: linux apps & appearences
To: Germano Cesari <u56237z@hotmail.com>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/31/2004 15:57:36
On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 12:45:01PM +0000, Germano Cesari wrote:
> Im runnig a Linux application under NetBSD 2.0 with Gnome 2.6.2, everything
> works fine, but the application seems to be unaffected by the theme
> currently used by Gnome.
>
> I know it is just a detail, but Id be happy to have it coherent with other
> apps running in the same enviroment.
> Is there a way to do that? Seems like it is using the old GTK gray controls
> (but maybe im just saying nonsenses.. has the GTK changed?).. is it because
> of the linux emulation settings? or is it because it has been compiled to
> behave like that? may I change it?

On the one hand, it depends on which application you are using, a thing you
don't mention.  (Because, if it is using GTK 1.x, then there is nothing you
can do).

However, if it is using GTK 2.x, the problem appears if you are using a theme
based on a binary GTK engine.  When running the application inside Linux
compat, it won't find the prebuilt engine, so it will fallback to a default
one, which will not match your preferences.  May be it will preseve some
colors, but that's all.

A solution could be to install a Linux-build of the required engine inside
/emul/linux, alongside with Linux's GTK2.  Something I've been thinking for
a while now...

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>