Subject: Re: Yet another 2.0 upgrade question (YA2UQ ?)
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartor@bellatlantic.net>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/18/2004 16:27:26
--Z83JOb+Pp/DrQW9p

hi,

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 09:55:41AM -0500, Steven Sartorius wrote:
> I'm currently running 1.6.2 on a headless system that I ssh into (it's=20
> a combo firewall/NAT/PPPoE/web proxy box for my home network).  I'm=20
> thinking about upgrading to 2.0 by:  1) installing 2.0 source(s), 2)=20
> building a 2.0 kernel, 3) rebooting with the new kernel and 4) doing a=20
> build.sh to build 2.0 userland.  Will this strategy work?  Can a stock=20
> 1.6.2 gcc build a 2.0 kernel? Any thoughts much appreciated.

since build.sh there is no point to build kernel and userland in two
distinct steps under two different kernels.  just build your new kernel
AND userland in one build.sh run, then boot with the new kernel, install
new userland, run /etc/postinstall and etcupdate.  i personally find it
much easier to build distribution tarballs than use install=3D/ since it's
easier to downgrade when i have the old sets lying around:

 build.sh ... distribution sets kernel=3D/my/custom/kernel
 install the kernel and bootblocks, reboot in single-user mode
 pax -zrpe -f /path/to/my/sets/base.tgz .... (except etc.tgz)
 pax -zrpe -f /path/to/my/sets/etc.tgz into e.g., /tmp/root
 etcupdate -b /tmp/root
 /etc/postinstall check|fix
 final reboot

regards,