Subject: Re: hard driver CRC error with RAID 5 under 2.0 release
To: TYMYT <mig144ru@yahoo.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2004 14:46:05
On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 05:40:13AM -0800, TYMYT wrote:
> > think there is no problem
> > about this.
> >
> > Thanks for your reply!
>
> Such errors intend to float and appear from time to
> time.
> Personally I do not trust cable change because I have
> seen cases when error comes back again.
> If you look for driver code you may find:
> WDCE_CRC 0x80 - CRC error (Ultra-DMA only)
> WDCE-BBK 0x80 - bad block detected
> >From this point I can assume that turning UltraDMA
> mode off
> would downgrade driver to avoid possible errors and
> save appropriate bad block checks.

No. The WDCE_BBK bit was before Ultra-DMA and is now obsolete.
Sure, turning UltraDMA off will disable the CRC checks at hardware level.
But this is a bad thing to do, because then if data corruption occurs on the
bus it won't be detected (this is why there is a CRC check in the first place).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>