Subject: Re: hard driver CRC error with RAID 5 under 2.0 release
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@myrealbox.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/15/2004 20:09:31
On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 05:24:33PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:30:23PM -0800, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:56:36PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
> > > What's wrong?
> > > I am testing the raid0a file system to see if it is stable...
> >
> > I would guess your cables are too long.  18 inches is the standard, I
> > believe.  CRC indicates data corruption in transferring data from the
> > disk to the controller.
>
> Yes, indeed. Because it's very hard to connect all of 8 hard drivers with
> standard cables. But why just wd0 has such error?

In the dmesg you posted, wd2 gets errrors too.

ATA electrical specifications assumes 18 inches cables. With longer cables
you're out of specs, and all sort of things can happens.

Note that another thing to look at is the power supply. With 8 hard drives,
it's possible that your power supply is too short.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>