Subject: Problem with tulip-based ethernet card: hardware or software problem?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/07/2004 14:14:07
	Hello Folks.  I'm running a 2.0-based system with sources from May
19th or so, Id's given below, with a Lite-On 82C169 tulip clone chip-based
ethernet.  If I run tcpdump on this system and put the card into
promiscuous mode, all works fine, until tcpdump exits and takes the card
out of promiscuous mode.  At that point, the card becomes unable to receive
anything.  Also, from time to time, I've had the card become unable to
receive packets at all, and the only way to recover is to do a power
cycling of the card.  The tcpdump problem is very reliable, and leads me to
believe that the tulip driver turns off promiscuous mode, but doesn't
notice that the chip has lost its reception programming, so doesn't
reprogram the card.  Is that merely a bug between the chip and the driver,
or or is the chip not supposed to do that, and this is a sign that the card
is defective?

	Here's the relevant data about what version of software I'm running:

NetBSD lothlorien.nfbcal.org 2.0_BETA NetBSD 2.0_BETA (NFBNETBSD) #0: Wed May 19 09:47:22 PDT 2004  buhrow@shire.nfbcal.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/NFBNETBSD i386
/*	$NetBSD: if_tlp_pci.c,v 1.76 2004/03/17 13:54:09 martin Exp $	*/
/*	$NetBSD: tulip.c,v 1.126 2003/12/18 18:39:36 thorpej Exp $	*/

	Has anyone else seen this problem and figured out a fix?
-thanks
-Brian