Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Intel=AE_Entry_Server_Board_SE7210TP1-E__&_wm?=
To: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/2004 18:14:59
--Apple-Mail-23-894331678

On Nov 22, 2004, at 3:24 PM, Phil Nelson wrote:

> - ---->~
> pm02[2]$ dmesg | grep wm
> wm0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0: Intel i82547GI 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev.
> 0
> wm0: interrupting at irq 5
> wm0: Communication Streaming Architecture
> wm0: 65536 word (16 address bits) SPI EEPROM
> wm0: Ethernet address 00:...... (deleted)
> igphy0 at wm0 phy 1: Intel IGP01E1000 Gigabit PHY, rev. 0

>    The Intel board machines are having problems when using the wm0
> interface.
> Specifically, after running a while, they turn off power to the entire
> machine and report a hardward error on the front pannel.   I've also
> noticed
> extreme delays in using ssh to get into the machines.   In some cases
> it is
> only 1 second and others as much as a minute.   This can't be a
> reverse DNS
> issue because the primary DNS machines is on the same "wire".

What version of NetBSD are you using?  There are some errata for the
82547, and changes to work around them were added to -current only
somewhat recently.

I have never seen the system flat-out power down, but I have seen
pretty horrible behavior from 82547 Ethernet when the errata
work-arounds are not in place.  It's a crappy chip, in my opinion.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>

--Apple-Mail-23-894331678
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit