Subject: =?iso-8859-1?q?Intel=AE_Entry_Server_Board_SE7210TP1-E__=26_wm_network?=
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Phil Nelson <phil@cs.wwu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/22/2004 15:24:18

HI,

   I'll ask again.  I'm running NetBSD/beta on a Intel=AE Entry Server Boar=
d=20
SE7210TP1-E that uses an i82547GI giga-bit ether.   dmesg reports

=2D ---->~
pm02[2]$ dmesg | grep wm
wm0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0: Intel i82547GI 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 0
wm0: interrupting at irq 5
wm0: Communication Streaming Architecture
wm0: 65536 word (16 address bits) SPI EEPROM
wm0: Ethernet address 00:...... (deleted)
igphy0 at wm0 phy 1: Intel IGP01E1000 Gigabit PHY, rev. 0

   I'm running the same version of NetBSD on another machine (Dell 750) tha=
t=20
reports the same ethernet chip, but a different EEPROM.   It reports

 ---->~
pm30[1]$ dmesg | grep wm
wm0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0: Intel i82547GI 1000BASE-T Ethernet, rev. 0
wm0: interrupting at irq 3
wm0: Communication Streaming Architecture
wm0: 64 word (6 address bits) MicroWire EEPROM
wm0: Ethernet address 00:...... (deleted)
igphy0 at wm0 phy 1: Intel IGP01E1000 Gigabit PHY, rev. 0

Here is the problem I'm having.

   The Dell is working just fine.  No problems no nothing.

   The Intel board machines are having problems when using the wm0 interfac=
e. =20
Specifically, after running a while, they turn off power to the entire=20
machine and report a hardward error on the front pannel.   I've also notice=
d=20
extreme delays in using ssh to get into the machines.   In some cases it is=
=20
only 1 second and others as much as a minute.   This can't be a reverse DNS=
=20
issue because the primary DNS machines is on the same "wire".

   Has anyone else seen a machine turn off its power when using the wm=20
interface?   (This board has 2 ethernet interfaces and runs great with no=20
problems when using the fxp driver using the other interface.)   Does anyon=
e=20
know what the different EEPROM have to do with the functioning of this=20
interface and whether it requires changes to NetBSD. =20

   Intel (and the local distributor) is saying that this is a NetBSD proble=
m=20
and not a hardware problem.

    Thanks for any help!

=2D --Phil