Subject: Re: 2.0rc4 unstability
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/2004 12:27:39
On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:11:26PM +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
> I have whined about 2.0 problems and I still do :-I  Both my desktop
> machine and laptop freeze (probably panic; I should really configure
> serial consoles for all machines and build a nest of serial cables)
> every now and then.

Well, I built a kernel with serial console option, launched gimp, loaded
a largish image (6200x9000 pixels) and tried to save it to /tmp (local
FFS disk with no softdeps).  Instant freeze.  No output to serial
console.  No panic.  Nothing.

The system still responds to ping, but X is dead, console does not
respond, caps lock led does not blink, disk light is dead etc.
If I telnet to any open port, I get a connection, but after that,
nothing.  So I guess the network stack is running to some degree,
but all processes are stuck.

I have been waiting for some 10 minutes now and the system has not
recovered.

Earlier, I saw a freeze like this and after some 2 minutes the system
came back alive (and froze completely with the gimp "trick").

I have 1 GB of RAM and 16 GB of swap, running a 2.0RC5 kernel on an
AMD Athlon XP 2600+.

  -jm