Subject: Re: 2.0rc4 unstability
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@netilium.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/2004 02:12:56
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:11:26 +0200
Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have whined about 2.0 problems and I still do :-I  Both my desktop
> machine and laptop freeze (probably panic; I should really configure
> serial consoles for all machines and build a nest of serial cables)
> every now and then.
>
> My desktop system repeatedly freezes when I use gimp to save an image
> to a local disk (at least when I save to the same partition where the
> gimp temp file is).  This machine also froze when I tried to print a
> PS file from a remote machine to an USB printer connected to this
> machine.  (I haven't seen this one more than once, but I don't really
> use a printer all that much.)
>
> My laptop freezes easily when watching a DVD using xine and moving the
> mouse pointer into the xine control window.
>
> A friend's machine froze when he killed an xterm.
>
> I don't know if 2.0rc4 is stable for all other people in the world,
> but it's the most unstable NetBSD release (well, not a release just
> yet) that I have ever used (sinze 0.9c on Amiga).  1.6 was rock solid
> on the same machines.
>
> Would I be better off running -current?  All I want is to get my
> work done - I hate crashes and I hate 15-minute fsck sessions. :-(
> I guess I have to disable softdeps in all kernels and see if that
> helps.  It will kill compile speed, but so do frequent reboots.
>
> Sorry for whining again.
>
>   -jm

NetBSD 2.0_BETA (GENERIC) #0: Wed Sep 1 19:58:22 CEST 2004
hitomi:~$ uptime
 2:02AM  up 23 days,  9:12, 17 users, load averages: 1.24, 0.71, 0.73

I don't know exactly what things have gone into netbsd-2-0 since
I built my src/, but this is a machine I use alot. Hasn't crashed once.
XFree86 multihead, firefox with 20+ tabs, gimp, MPlayer, pkgsrc builds,
raidframe. And all with 256 MB memory so it will swap now and then.

It sounds to me that your crashes are XFree86-related. Did you
compile your xsrc yourself? Using the same binaries on all boxen?

Btw, that serial console sounds like an excellent idea.

-tnn