Subject: Re: PCI sound card recommendations?
To: TAMURA Kent <kent@NetBSD.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/2004 17:38:18
On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 02:14:04AM +0900, TAMURA Kent wrote:

> > > And mixerctl says what?  I have an auvia device with an unknow codec, I can
> > > change volume just fine.
> >
> > mixerctl says everything I'd expect it to say - but the only setting that
> > works is master volume. xmix and mixerctl will let me change them all just
> > fine, it just makes absolutely no difference. Also, just like on every auvia
> > chipset I've ever tried, there are no bass/treble settings. The same is true
> > for the below sblive.
>
> 0x434d4983 is CMI9761.  If it was similar spec as CMI9738 codec,
> it would have no hardware for DAC volume, that is to say,
> inputs.dac mixer item would have no effect.  Unfortunately, the
> sufficient datasheet for CMI9761 is not public.
>
> The bass/treble mixer items appear if the AC'97 codec supports
> them.  I have never seen such codecs.
>
> If you need not 4ch/6ch playback, I recommend CMI8738-based
> cards.  But I don't like PCI sound cards at all because of
> noise.

I don't need anything more than good stereo playback. Which is why I really
miss my SB64, but I can't pull it out of my old machine and put it in here,
because, of course, this machine has no ISA slots. I was hoping for
something at least as good as an ISA SB64 that I could slap in a spare PCI
slot. And I don't like PCI sound cards any more than you do... there were
some things that ISA slots really did well at, IMHO: sound cards and modems
(for those of us who don't require $40000 SB Audigy 2 platinum uranium pro
performance plus blah blah sound cards ;-)

My experience with PCI modems (not that I need them, just that I've had to
help friends with them) is that they're quite dodgy as a rule, and my
experience with the only PCI sound card I have has left me less than
impressed.

-Sean

--
/~\ The ASCII