Subject: Re: support for modern intel chipsets
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: None <cube@cubidou.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/10/2004 11:54:22
On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 09:48:04PM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 06:39:29AM +0100, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> > I've bought a new Dell PC and found out that NetBSD won't even boot on
> > it.  In particular, it seems that NetBSD has problems with one or more
> > of the following topics:
> >
> >  - PCI-Express
> >  - Serial ATA
> >  - Intel On-Board NICs such as the EtherPro/100 on the 915G chipset
>
> All of these work fine for me (with NetBSD-current, at least).  My new
> Dell PC, with 925X chipset, boots just fine, and everything works.
> Full dmesg attached below.  Not sure what your problem might be.
>
> However, there are a couple of things not recognised, any comments on
> these?
>
> vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: ATI Technologies product 0x5d57 (rev. 0x00)
> wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
> wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> ATI Technologies product 0x5d77 (miscellaneous display) at pci1 dev 0 function 1 not configured
>
> seems like the graphics card has some second function? It's a "Radeon
> X800-XT" or something very similar.

I don't know what it is for, but I think it's XFree86's business anyway.

> Intel 82801FB/FR AC'97 Audio Controller (audio multimedia, revision 0x03) at pci0 dev 30 function 2 not configured
>
> I'm going to guess this one is a matter of adding pci id's to an
> existing driver; I'll get around to trying that sooner or later, but
> the emuxki audigy2 works.

I'm not so sure.  It would be interesting to see if adding the ID to
auich(4) makes it work.  I do know that the AC-97 chip in the ICH6
changed, but I don't know (haven't looked closely at it) in what
extent.  I made the BCM5751 work and added the IDE/SATA IDs because
I needed them, but now the computer is in prod, and of course I don't
use sound on it.

Quentin Garnier.