Subject: Re: CCD error under 1.6.2
To: Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@myrealbox.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2004 20:51:28
On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 01:11:40PM +0800, Rui-Xiang Guo wrote:
>  Hi, all.
>  I use 4 ide hard drivers(wd2~wd5) for configure CCD under 1.6.2 and
>  there is no error occured when I setup them.
>  But when I reboot my system, I find such messages -
>  [...]
>  wd3: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 2
>  wd2(pciide1:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA data transfers)
>  wd3(pciide1:0:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA data transfers)
>  wd3d: error reading fsbn 1 (wd3 bn 1; cn 0 tn 0 sn 1), retrying
>  wd3: (aborted command, interface CRC error)
>  wd3: soft error (corrected)
>  wd4: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 2
>  wd4(pciide1:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA data transfers)
>  wd5(pciide1:1:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (Ultra/33) (using DMA data transfers)
>  wd4d: error reading fsbn 1 (wd4 bn 1; cn 0 tn 0 sn 1), retrying
>  wd4: (aborted command, interface CRC error)
>  wd4: soft error (corrected)

What controllers and drives ?

>  [...]
>
>  What does it mean about 'interface CRC error'?

When data are transfered over the IDE bus using UltraDMA, the payload also
include a CRC of the data to be checked by the other end. In this case the
CRC doesn't match on the receiver end, which means that the data got
corrupted while transfered on the bus.

>  BTW, I also find that I can't disklabe the drivers after wd5,
>  e.g.
>  ftp# disklabel /dev/wd6
>  disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
>  only if I type 'disklabel /dev/wd6d'.
>
>  Could someone please help me resolve it?

I geuss you have a file called /dev/wd6. What does ls -l /dev/wd6 say ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>