Subject: Re: 2.0beta performance
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/27/2004 20:24:18
	Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> said:

> I'm not suffering from this problem right now?
>    256743 pages managed
>    164677 anonymous pages

Probably not suffering, because of (anonymous pages) + (cached file pages)
+ (cached executable pages) < (pages managed) in your case.

But what Havard said is true.

> Anything I should check before installing a new kernel? ;)

Does changing vm.file{min,max} sysctl parameters make the response
better?
You can use something like "sysctl -w vm.filemin=0 vm.filemax=1" as
a starter to see whether the parameters take an effect or not.
(This setting does NOT really limit the file cache less than 1%.
 the name of the "max" parameter is misguiding.)

Even if this does take an effect, it's better to update your kernel.
I'm not sure whether you'll need the sysctl change after the kernel
update or not, though.
--
soda