Subject: Re: VIA VT6102 Rhine II problems
To: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
From: Claes Leufven <rinsan@lysator.liu.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/26/2004 20:40:53
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 11:22:18AM -0600, Rick Kelly wrote:
> Julio M. Merino Vidal said:
>
> >NetBSD dawn.local 2.99.9 NetBSD 2.99.9 (DAWN) #2: Mon Oct 11 15:30:25 CEST 2004  jmmv@dawn.local:/var/build/obj/home/jmmv/NetBSD/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/DAWN i386
> >
> >Note that I also used this same card in 10mbit (full or half duplex, can't
> >remember) for some days (before I got the 100mbit wire working) without any
> >problem.
>
> NetBSD roothog.rmkhome.com 2.99.9 NetBSD 2.99.9 (ROOTHOG) #1: Sat Oct 23 19:03:22 MDT 2004  rmk@roothog.rmkhome.com:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ROOTHOG i386
>
> Using the box under heavy load as an NFS server, it would eventually just
> lock up. Using 100Mbit half and full duplex. The motherboard was made by
> Gigabyte.
>
> I switched to a 3COM 3C905 and the problems went away.
> --
> Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com

I have made some tests with a cable between a Intel Pro 100Mbit card and the Rhine II card:
100Mbit Full-duplex = No errors,speed ok.
100Mbit half-duplex = No errors,speed ok.
10Mbit Full-duplex = No errors,speed terrible around 50Kbyte/s
10Mbit half-duplex = No errors,speed ok.

So probably is the Rhine II card very sensitive to cheap Hubs and switches?

Regards
Claes Leufven