Subject: Re: My experience with the _RCs so far
To: Paul Shupak <paul@Plectere.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/10/2004 00:49:47
On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:03:46PM -0700, Paul Shupak wrote:
> acts identically (I use "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=8m count=10",
> to workaround - lower values of 'count' don't always work; count == 1
> is about 50/50;  Unplug the device, "dd", then plug in and it works!)

In addition to this "umass" problem, I have noticed the following problems
with 2.0 (which I think are too serious to be ignored):

1. Reading CF cards on a 2 GHz laptop is slow (well under 1 MB/s) and eats
   up all the CPU power (irq load is very high).  Mouse pointer doesn't
   move smoothly, all user processes run  s l o w l y  etc.  It wasn't
   this bad under 1.6.

2. Panics when using softdeps.  I can't use gimp, I can't build pkgs
   reliably.

I also consider the umass buffer problem quite serious.  Several people
have asked for a solution on the mailing lists - even though 2.0 hasn't
been released yet.

IMHO, it would be better to postpone the 2.0 release and fix these (and
other) serious problems than to disappoint users with bugs that affect
regular users in common operations.

  -jm