Subject: Re: My experience with the _RCs so far
To: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/2004 23:35:33
Hello,

>   Only because that's the impression it will make.  People will be
> plugging their cameras and MP3 players in and think that "USB is broken in
> this version".  Which is all I was meaning to say.  I guess I wasn't very
> clear about it.

Hmm, I have a disk enclosure ( USB to IDE ), a card reader ( both USB 2.0 ) and a camera which all work perfectly with 20G ( although only in USB 1.1 mode, ehci seems to be broken, at least on macppc, I don't have any x86 hardware with USB 2.0 ) and a 128MB memory stick/MP3 player which doesn't work, but it doesn't work in MacOS either so I think that's a problem with the stick and the driver needs some sort of quirk. I'm using softdep since 1.6.something on very different hardware ( hp300, i386 and macppc ) and never had the slightest problem with it.

I agree with you about the impression on new users - we should leave broken drivers in stable releases to the Linux folks and NOT rush new releases, just for the hell of it. 2.0 was planned to be released months ago, I don't see the problem in delaying it a bit more. On the other hand - NetBSD isn't very likely to attract unexperienced users, quite the contrary.

have fun
Michael