Subject: Re: My experience with the _RCs so far
To: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/09/2004 23:31:07
In message <Pine.NEB.4.58.0410100417300.23284@simak>, Magnus Eriksson writes:

>> > How could "working USB" not be an important goal for such a major
>> > version bump?
>
>> How does NetBSD 2.0 not have "working USB"? Works for me... you're
>> seriously overstating the issue.
>
>  Only because that's the impression it will make.  People will be
>plugging their cameras and MP3 players in and think that "USB is broken in
>this version".  Which is all I was meaning to say.  I guess I wasn't very
>clear about it.

I agree that this is a nuisance.  In fact, I've muttered about this for
years.  This is not a new problem in 2.0; it's been a problem for quite
some time.  Should it be fixed?  Of course!  Should it have been a
priority for 2.0, instead of the things that were put in?  That's much
less obvious, especially since there's a simple bypass (booting with
the USB drive attached).