Subject: Re: My experience with the _RCs so far
To: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/06/2004 14:15:10
Erik Osheim said:

>I think you have overstated your claim. I agree that 2.0 should have
>working USB support, and that it's disappointing that a fix for this
>well-known bug doesn't exist. However, NetBSD offers many new features
>and improvements which the average user will probably benefit form.

USB support appeared with NetBSD 1.4. In the i386 world, more systems and
motherboards that only have USB for i/o are coming out everyday.

I can't use any of my USB stuff, including my digital camera, unless I want
to reboot a system.

Solaris, openbsd, freebsd, linux, macos apparently don't have these problems
with USB.

>In particular, I'm really looking forward to native POSIX threads. I
>think your average user will see improvements in the performance of
>any threaded application (I definitely remember that being true for Linux).

This will probably be good for SMP, but my SMP box is already running
-current.

Both of my two -current boxes have problems with USB.

NetBSD 2.0, however, is much improved on sparc64.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com