Subject: Re: USB hubs.
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/2004 15:02:47
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:09:02 -0500
Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 08:35:56PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:35:18AM -0500, Richard Rauch wrote:
> >
> > >  * XMMS sometimes works, sometimes not.  Yes, this is pkgsrc stuff.
> > >    And, horrors, KDE is also in the mix.  Still, it may be
> >
> > KDE has a sound server software mixer thing, so that all it's animated
>
> Yeah, I noticed.  But it *did* work at one point, under KDE.  I
> do not understand why.

The aRts daemon does not keep the audio device open all the time (IIRC); this
is why xmms may work some times, even if aRts is running in the background.

> If it were my system and my login, I'd not even be using KDE.
> I'm reluctant to recommend that this user kill off the KDE sound
> system,

Killing it should be fine; KDE will restart it when needed.

> but if there's a patch or output plugin to let XMMS talk
> to KDE's sound, that would be good.

Install audio/xmms-arts and select the new output plugin from XMMS'
configuration dialog.

Cheers

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv@menta.net>