Subject: Sound & performance
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bastiaan Welmers <haasje@welmers.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2004 02:56:27
Hi,

I'm using NetBSD 1.6.2 on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop. It's using OPL3
SA soundcard, on ym0 (in the kernel msgbuf). The sound works well, but
seems to be rather slow. Playing sound causes the CPU to be
quite busy(fan starts blowing), however not visible in top.
For example, if I play a movie in mplayer, it works well in Linux with
sound, and also well when I run it on NetBSD without sound enabled
(using null device).
When I run mplayer with sound on NetBSD the movie's not running smoothly
anymore.
Also games (like rocks'n'diamonds) have this similar problem.
Problems with aRts (KDE sound server) too, sound through that server
runs very badly (hickups all the time)
In Linux there's no problem.
I'm using the same lib (OSS) on both platforms. Switching to another
makes no improvement.
Is there a way to improve the sound performance?
My kernel config (audio part):

ym0		at pnpbios0 index 21	# OPL3-SA3

audio0	at ym0

pnpbios can be a bottleneck, but on Linux it's not.

I already commented out MPU, OPL and MIDI and that kind of stuff.

Thanks, Bastiaan Welmers