Subject: Re: creating a Windows slice
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/26/2004 16:21:49
On 2004-09-24 darkstar@city-net.com wrote:

>   I entirely reinstall both NetBSD and Windows on occasion, but almost
> always at different times.  The only minor annoyance I have encountered is
> that windows ME insists on installing its own MBR boot code, which boots
> the active partition (which will be changed to the windows partition).
> Even if you don't happen to have a NetBSD boot disk you can change the
> active partition from DOS, boot NetBSD, and reinstall the multiboot code
> (or just use one of the dozens of such things that can be installed from
> DOS).

  I just reinstalled my windows ME system, and it turns out that I
couldn't just set the NetBSD partition active (and at least one older dos
install multiboot didn't work either), due to the alternative methods
needed to support booting further into large disks (my NetBSD partition
starts 36GB or so into the disk; ME and older windows systems might not be
able to boot from such a partition even with an updated MBR, though I have
not tried this).

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com