Subject: Re: creating a Windows slice
To: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/2004 13:12:57
--rCwQ2Y43eQY6RBgR

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:26:38PM -0400, Steve Bellovin wrote:
> I'm trying to build a dual-boot machine, Windows 98 and NetBSD.  I=20
> installed NetBSD first (it was a blank disk), leaving fdisk room for=20
> Windows.

So far so good, though I've only done this with NT and derivatives and
NTFS.

> But the Windows installer is complaining about not being able=20
> to read the last cluster on the MS-DOS partition.  (I copied /dev/zero=20
> to it and then formatted it with newfs_msdos -F 32.) =20

Any reason you don't let windows make the fs itself?

> Does the=20
> partition need to have some special properties, such as cylinder=20
> alignment or an integer multiple of some number of sectors?  And if=20
> so, why didn't newfs_msdos at least print a warning?

Not sure, but that sounds very plausible.  If so, it will want the
partition to be cylinder aligned according to the BIOS geometry.  It
also may be the case that there's some off-by-one error in
newfs_msdos?

--
Dan.
--rCwQ2Y43eQY6RBgR