Subject: Re: Stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data..."
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/31/2004 14:27:47
On Thursday 26 August 2004 12:46, David Laight wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 04:20:41PM -0700, Marc Tooley wrote:
> > And I can get it to boot from CDROM, get it to install NetBSD on
> > the hard drive, and get it to tell me that everything seems to have
> > completed successfully.
> >
> > Unfortunately, on reboot it hangs at:
> >
> > Verifying DMI pool data...
>
> Since that is (apparantly) a bios message, try testing the boot
> procedure phase by phase.

So after installing Windows on the machine (briefly, briefly, honest)
and getting it working, and seeing that it only showed the first 130GB
or so of the 200GB drive (and learning that Windows 2000 doesn't
actually have 48-bit addressing LBA mode) and thus verifying that it
could run a full-fledged OS when forced to, I went home to my NetBSD
machines and built a brand-new 2.0G-based -current system, including
rebuilt packages and the works, made a bootable CD and re-installed on
the bigger, faster machine.

I'm at the boot-prompt now about to install a bunch of precompiled
packages. :)

> Try installing the mbr_bootsel code - run fdisk and give the
> partition a 'bootmenu' string [1].  Then booting should give you the
> boot menu. Press a key and something should happen (unexpected oner
> give 'error ?').

This and the below are all tremendously useful, thank you. I wasn't
aware these options were available to me.