Subject: Re: How to run netboot_3c90xb.com?
To: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@pultek.co.jp>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/29/2004 22:35:35
On Wednesday 25 August 2004 00:26, Masao Uebayashi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How can I run netboot_3c90xb.com?  Documentation/network/netboot
> /intro.i386.html is helpful about how to build it, but not very
> helpful about how to run it.
>
> I knew netboot_3c90xb.com has a different entry point than 0x100 as
> dosboot.com, which I could run from DOS.  I guess I need something to
> run netboot_3c90xb.com...

Normally it would be programmed into an EPROM and run by the BIOS as a BIOS
extension at boot time.

Since it's somewhat self-relocating, I have in the past put a trivial wrapper
around it to load it from a floppy.  I'm not sure where that code is, but it
would be easy to reproduce.  Likewise, you could put a trivial wrapper around
it and run it as an .EXE file quite easily.