Subject: motherboard problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/26/2004 23:11:09
One of the two systems that I use to track -current has an MSI
KM2M motherboard with a 1.3 Mhz Duron.

Today it crashed and was overheating. The cpu fan was operating erratically,
but I was able to reboot, fsck and shutdown.

I replaced the cpu fan and it now boots with:

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

I downloaded the flash utility and BIOS image from MSI. I put together a
floppy using DRDOS, the files above, and a custom autoexec,bat.

After getting the messages above, teh floppy tries to boot:

Detecting floppy drive A: media ...

Drive media is: 1.44Mb

And then nothing. Is the board cooked or what?

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com