Subject: Re: Serenity Virtual Station for NetBSD?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/26/2004 11:20:52
On Thursday 26 August 2004 08:07 am, David Brownlee wrote:
> Serenity-Systems produce a Virtual Machine system similar to
>  	vmware.
>
> http://www.serenityvirtual.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=17&title=Serenit
>y%20Systems%20announces%20new%20versions%20of%20Serenity%20Virtual%20Station

I love the IBM System/360 and System/370 references.  As an old-line VMer, it
suggests to me that they may really understand virtualization (like VMware
does, but unlike some other players in the field).  Of course, the
refereneces are wrong - System/370 ran System/360 OSes and applications
without virtualization, but VM/370 allowed multiple 360 and 370 OSes to be
run simultaneously, and became critical to sites upgrading from OS/360 to
OS/VS.

We use VMware a lot, running unsupported NetBSD guests as well as supported
Windows and Linux guests, on both supported Windows and Linux hosts.  At
US$299 for VMware Workstation, it was a steal for what we get out of it.  Now
that it's US$189, it's even better.  It will be interesting to watch Serenity
and see how they do at playing catch-up.
--
Ross A. Patterson
Chief Technology Officer