Subject: Re: Hallo, I got a dumb question....
To: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
From: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/2004 12:25:42
On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 10:25, Erik Osheim wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 03:12:32PM +0000, Andreas Drewke wrote:
> > how can one set up multiple static routes in NetBSD????
> > Thanx alot..
>
> Check out route(8) and routed(8).
>
> According to routed, it looks like you can use /etc/gateways to specify gateways to use for static routes.
>
> The command for what (I think) you want to do is this:
>
> route add -net <dest-network> -netmask <dest-netmask> <router-ip>
> (route add -net 10.0.0.0 -netmask 255.0.0.0 192.168.11.1)

I think he means multiple default routes with different "metrics" as
seen in Linux's route(8), Cisco IOS, and Windows route.exe.

I've actually been wondering that myself, how would one create a
secondary default route on the other side a Dial-on-Demand PPP link, in
the event that the interface that the default route with the lower
metric goes down, the default route with the higher metric becomes
active, causing the PPP connection to come up.

I'll have to look into that...

~Brian