Subject: Re: NetBSD VM support?
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/18/2004 02:32:45
On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 04:19:58PM +1000, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
> I am in a situation where I want to put a NetBSD virtual machine on a
> Windows box[1] and was thinking of using something like bochs or plex86.
>
> I hadn't looked at these for some time however I read on both their
> websites that neither supports NetBSD particularly well ... is there
> something else out there that would do what I wanted (simple machine,
> network support, no pressing need for video support) without having to
> purchase vmware or similar?

VMware for Windows isn't very expensive, and I can verify that NetBSD
runs fine in it.

Another option would be to consolidate multiple existing NetBSD boxes
using a virtualization environment like Xen.  That's one thing I've done
to get the machine count down in my far-too-loud office recently.

Thor