Subject: Re: connecting USB drives long after boot
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/17/2004 21:34:42
--gatW/ieO32f1wygP

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 07:11:25PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:

> In fact, if I'm not entirely wrong, perhaps it was just a little C
> program that malloc'd between 0.5 and 1 times your system ram,
> touched one byte on every page, and then exited.

You mean something like:

  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/null bs=256m count=2

? :-)

If you have more than about 512Mb of RAM, and it doesn't work, run a
few of these in parallel, till you hit somewhere between 1/2 - 2/3 of
RAM.  dd allocates a big buffer and overwrites it - twice, to try and
encourage it to stay in core over other programs' idle pages.

--
Dan.

--gatW/ieO32f1wygP

--gatW/ieO32f1wygP--