Subject: Re: connecting USB drives long after boot
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/17/2004 19:11:25
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004, Michael van Elst wrote:

> alicia@engine.ca (Alicia da Conceicao) writes:
>
> >My question is, has this been fixed, and if so, in which source
> >trees (1.6X and/or 2.0X)?
>
> It hasn't been fixed yet.

There's a trick you can use with sysctl to get the kernel to allocate
a huge chunk of memory and deallocate it or something like that that
will clear up the problem temporarially. I don't remember just what it
is, though. It may have been something that forced a lot of stuff out
to swap, and then de-allocated the memory. In fact, if I'm not entirely
wrong, perhaps it was just a little C program that malloc'd between 0.5
and 1 times your system ram, touched one byte on every page, and then
exited.

Anyone, someone should find it and document it in a FAQ somewhere. And
then hack the kernel to use that to fix the problem. :-)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org